Monday, July 11, 2011

Dallas, The American Plains Artists Exhibition, and a little bit of drawing

Tomorrow I will be leaving for the Colored Pencil Society of America's International Exhibition and convention week near Dallas, Texas.  This event always proves to be five days of great fun and lots of laughter with good friends, as well as a tremendous source of inspiration.  A cowboy boot shopping expedition planned originally by several members, seems to have morphed into a virtual CPSA field trip -- so much so that we may do well to rent a bus. (And grant me a 'whine' for a moment:  I think I broke a toe yesterday, who's swelling could prohibit me from being able to properly try on boots this week.  This could be a catastrophe.)  So stay tuned for photos of wild, middle-aged women.  Okay, well............ maybe not so wild.     : ) 

My piece Dust and Thunder has been juried into the American Plains Artists 27th Annual Exhibit.  The show will be on display in Las Cruces, New Mexico, from September 9 - October 30, 2011, at the New Mexico Farm and Ranch Heritage Museum.  The exhibit can also be viewed on the American Plains Artists website.

Finally, the entire grisaille is completed on my current work-in-progress -- (except for that pesky ear area near the right-hand margin that I decline to show in its entirety at present, and which I have redrawn three times ..........it is a little irritating when I find myself stuck on something in that way, but occasionally it seems simply the nature of the beast) -- and I have begun to put down the heavier layers upon which I will build the details later.  After I return from Dallas, I may set this piece aside for awhile in order to work on a couple of smaller equine pieces that need to be completed first.

So, see you on the other side of the convention -- and thanks so much for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your toe! I hope you find some great boots despite this. You can use the other foot to try for size. :-)
    Congratulations on the American Plains Exhibit. Any plans to travel to New Mexico in the fall, to hand deliver the painting???
    The grisaille is fabulous and I am sure the pesky ear will work out next chance you get to pick up the pencils.
    I know you shall have a fabulous time at the convention Lynda. I look forward to the recap when you return. Shout a few yee haws when you are there for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha......No, it may not work to try a boot on my right foot. But I don't think the 'field trip' is occurring until Friday, so hopefully the dratted swelling will have gone down -- but the bruise may be in its prime, just in time for the banquet!

    Teresa.........WE WILL MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete