Monday, March 5, 2012

Equine Work-in-Progress: Muzzle Detail


Above is the detail on the muzzle that I have laid in over the value drawing, minus the final whiskers.  One of the most challenging aspects of drawing for me, is the need to constantly and consciously fight the urge to execute every tiny, little detail.  Over time I have learned a bit --just a bit -- about the importance of suggesting detail, rather than drawing every excruciating grain of sand, piece of hair, or thread in the fabric.  Upon stepping back and assessing this horse's muzzle, I was (am) unsure as to whether I have successfully limited the level of detail.  As I carry on and build details in the other areas of the image, I will be better able to evaluate this.  Given that it is drawn on Uart sanded pastel paper, softening and blending the level of detail can easily be done.

So, back with my nose to the grindstone -- or in this case, the sandpaper.

9 comments:

  1. Perfection! I can just feel the softness and folds of the nose Lynda. It actually makes me want to snuzzle with the horse! And I'm not a horse lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not, Dianna -- so I consider that a tremendous compliment! : )))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with Dianna more I was so sure that if I put my hand out I would feel the soft breath from the nostrils.....wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for such kind words, Elizabeth. A horse's muzzle, breath, eyes, etc., are simply one of the best things in life, eh? : )))

    ReplyDelete
  5. What comes across to me is the sense of softness. The colours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love all the detail you put in your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa and Jennifer -- thanks for your comment. Sometimes when I stare at something too long, it seems I can lose the ability to see something such as a sense of softness -- it was almost looking a little 'hard' to me because of some of the detail, so it is helpful to hear what others see.

    Thanks Barb, and I probably should have explained myself a little better in the post.....In an image, areas with a high level of detail and / or hard edges can tend to pull the viewers eye. Because the muzzle area is one of the few areas with any color, has a fair amount of detail, and considering its location in the image, I want to be cautious I guess -- that one's eye will not get stuck on the muzzle area, if that makes any sense. So depending on how these factors are working together when the entire image is closer to completion -- I may choose to soften the detail in this area......or maybe even dull down the peach a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great work...
    i love the way in which you choose to have a stint of brown above the mouth of the horse, which makes it so real and adds life...
    congrats...

    ReplyDelete