Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Trumpeter Swan Completed

Untitled
14" x 12"
Derwent Graphic pencils on Strathmore 400 Bristol


Yet untitled, this young trumpeter swan that I began at an artist's retreat a number of weeks ago is finally completed.  As I previously indicated I nearly abandoned it altogether, but decided to return to it in part at the encouragement of others -- who clearly could see more potential in it than I could.  Now in retrospect, I'm grateful for their vision and my (not always the case) willingness to listen.  This drawing as well as the graphite barn swallow, "On the Fence", will hang in a show featuring sixteen artists at the Hudson Gallery through the end of May.

The completion of this piece is a tremendous relief, as it is the last of several works that I have finished just under the wire of their perspective deadlines.  For the first time in about six months, I do not know what I will be working on tomorrow.  I like not knowing -- and relish the thought of taking the time to shuffle through hundreds of photo references and scan hastily-written ideas on dozens of bits of paper that are haphazardly stuck to one of my drawing room walls.  As with many artists (I presume), I have more ideas than time to execute them!

Also, it is likely that I will be spending less time on my art over the next few weeks.  My son is approaching the end of his senior year in high school, so graduation and its related functions and festivities are looming.  In addition he and I are knee-deep in the onslaught of tasks related to his beginning college in the fall.  Is this possible????  There are moments, and people, and experiences from his infancy that are so vivid, it seems they happened last week.  How is it possible that eighteen years has passed?

Oh, and the barn swallows have returned.  All is right with the world.  Tick-tock.   

16 comments:

  1. It's a remarkable drawing in many ways Lynda, not the least of which is that it's such a unique viewpoint. You're one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Peter. It was very good fortune that this particular swan spent a great deal of time with that wonderful neck arched around over his back, primping and preening under that wing. He gave a great visual to work with and photograph......btw; miss your blog posts! You must be very busy lately -- hope to see more of your beautiful work-in-progress sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lynda it's wonderful so glad you kept at it. As Peter says I love the unique pose it as an almost coy look like a young lady from days gone by fluttering her eyelashes at some beau from behind her fan...LOL. Deadlines and artists must be a trait I always think I have loads of time to figure out what I'm doing then bang it's a dash to get it done...we live dangerously, to think people assume we have a lovely relaxed easy life ha ha!
    Enjoy your upcoming festivities :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Lynda. Yes, I miss my blog posts too! I'm so busy with "real" work at present that I've had no time to either paint or blog. The next best thing is to keep tabs on my more productive blogger friends and admire their work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the feather detail :D glad you finished it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely astonishing Lynda! I love the composition and you have captured the elegance of a swan. (Very dignified I might add.)

    Enjoy the moments you have preparing for the grad party. If you need some ideas for simple, inexpensive, but very memorable decorations, let me know. What I did for my daughter's was a crowd pleaser and best of all broke the generation gap in conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, maybe enter it in Birds in Art 2011? Keep rocking those pencils, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, arent' you glad you didn't listen to your inner self? That is an amazing drawing...I just love the composition and the detail in the feathers! Best wishes in regards to your son's graduation...and congratulations. Time sure flies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter......been there! It can be so hard to work full-time and draw / paint also. Though I'm uncertain for how long, I am very fortunate the past few years to have the opportunity to put time into my drawing. It has not always been that way, and I'm afraid that for many years I let the art get away from me completely.

    Thank you, Elizabeth - you always have the sweetest things to say......And isn't that the truth about how others view artists? So many people think that because we CAN draw and / or paint, that its EASY. Geesh, some days I feel like I've never done anything more difficult! (But.........I love it anyway!)

    Thankyou Jennifer, and thanks for stopping in. Its a good thing I was under a deadline, or I'd be overworking those feathers well into June!

    Dianna, I appreciate your kind words and..........you'd better be careful or I just may take you up on your graduation decor-consulting! You are close enough for me to call when I'm crashing into "hostess-panic"......hahahahaha.

    Denny, ever since you and Michael B. previously suggested "Birds in Art" to me, I've been considering just that for 2011. If the piece does not sell in the upcoming show it is in, I'm going to do just that. Thanks for mentioning. And now, I'm going to take a hop over to your blog and take another look at those wonderful new shelves!

    Thankyou Colette, and yes.....I AM glad I listened to others! Let this be a lesson to me.....to listen more frequently! (Oh noooo; someone is bound to remind me that I said that at some point in the future......lolol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully executed and has been said, beautiful pose!! Now I think Dianna really needs to give us the scoop after dishing out that party success teaser! LOL Have a great time with your photo references and good luck with that college prep work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahaha........Teresa, I think you were commenting on my blog at the same time I was commenting on yours! Thankyou, and I couldn't agree more about Dianna! (That girl just does not understand how she may be setting herself up.......SHE is a 'natural hostess', I am NOT, and she only lives 35 minutes from me! Muahahahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful sculptural and private nook you have created with this swan. My eye gets routed around and around from the curve of the wing and the multitudes of feathers, into the eye. So captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Debbi. You described one of the aspects I really was drawn to in the photo refs of this swan.....how the eye moves through the image. Hope you are having a great time out there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how it ended up. It's really nice, Lynda. Wish the best for you and your son on this new step of his life. And also on your show and on your quest for new inspiration!
    Warm regards,
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much Carolina. I have not yet been working on finding new inspiration, as I got distracted by painting and reorganizing my drawing room! Hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to get back to work in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your work; I'm a fellow graphite artist and also a friend of Betty Dalsing whose work I love.

    ReplyDelete