Friday, August 19, 2011

Work-in-Progress: Wyoming Wild Bay Horse




On the drawing board currently is a small piece similar to Wyoming Grey, which was sold at the silent auction for the Colored Pencil Society of America last month.  This piece is the first of two or three works of this type that I am doing for an area gallery.  I have just begun to put down the layers of detail, and have yet to punch up the darkest values.

I can barely believe that the summer is winding down already.  The barn swallows' final broods of the season are about to fledge, and the sand hill cranes are frequently found snacking in the fields as they approach time for their migration.  In  another week my son -- who has been here all summer diligently attending to his part-time job and full-time social life -- will return several hours north for his second year of college.  Sniff.  Life holds few guarantees, but change is certainly one of them.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Lynda!!
    I thought you may have fallen off the face of the earth for a couple of weeks but I knew if I waited long enough there would be a new post about a new masterpiece!! You make me want to just drop everything and bury myself in the studio and CREATE!
    Gorgeous piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your horses ... its looking great already. I know just what you mean about Summer winding down ... we've had to put the lamps on an hour earlier in the lounge this week - the evenings are really starting to draw in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this summer has flown by! no idea where all the days went.

    love those ears :) its looking wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning piece Lynda! Yes, days are shorter and evening barn chores are happening earlier. It has been a fabulous summer though. And yes, change is going to come whether we like it or not. I figure my best response is to choose to like it. Sometimes a challenge... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changes are subtle here but they are afoot. I've been missing my swallows with not being at the stables but the other day I heard their chattering above me. About forty of them sitting on the telephone wire above the garden, think they came to say goodbye :)

    Love your soft delicate touch on this one can't wait for the next progress report....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the way you crop the image of the horses head. Your technique is wonderful, but the composition is always very dramatic and well thought out. Finally saw your piece, Hand of Man at Lotus yesterday. I think it is your best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice portrayal. Are you finished with it yet? We are waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work Lynda. Very Impressive. Thank you for joining my blog (Nature Art Journal). Just wanted to let you know that I created another blog called "Art Inspire Today - daily inspiration for artist. I hope you get a chance to see it and join in helping artist inspire one another - http://artinspiretoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous piece! I love the cropped version and his color is so beautiful. I look forward to seeing this painting finished.

    ReplyDelete