Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Small (and Wondrous) Encounters

Though I don't often take enough time to capture them with my camera, one of my favorite things about living in the country are the many encounters with the natural world, particularly in the spring and summer.  These little encounters, usually brief, are sometimes intriguing and wondrous, often beautiful, and occasionally poignant.  Below are several 'moments in time' that I recently captured, that caused me to take a pause in my busy day.


After flying into the front window with a rather alarming "thud", I found this little Pine Siskin lying stunned on the ground.  I held it until it 'came to' and was ready to be on it's way again.


This Promethea Moth spent two days attached to the screen of the back porch -- then disappeared as quickly as she had arrived.


Though this little guy (or gal) seemed quite content to sit in the barn cat's food dish and munch away, I didn't think that was the best place for him -- so I relocated him to a nearby hay field.


Possibly this Common Gray Tree Frog is the same one that sings to me every evening when I am watering gardens.  He has found a good spot: damp and cool atop a slightly leaky old faucet.


Thanks for stopping by.    : )

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I particularly love the little mouse eating the cats food ... brave soul!!

    And that moth is quite spectacular.

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue......that mouse was the funniest little thing. I sat by the food dish and watched him for quite some time, and he was totally unconcerned about my being there. And of course, he was totally clueless as to the danger of his location: he is fortunate that I came along before the cat did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lynda, I LOVE these photos. Coming across all those little creatures would make me so happy. I should post some photos like this from my world on the east coast! I currently have a female downy woodpecker who is drinking nectar from the hummingbird feeders like she's an addict. I thought she was super-glued to the feeder the other night - 30 minutes straight of drinking. The hummer got so tired of waiting that she shared the dang feeder with her.

      Delete
    2. Debbi, you definitely should post some of your similar photos -- because you have shared some of your bird photos with me, and they are wonderful. The little creatures that share our world with us our so amazing to watch -- I know you share this same sentiment. xo

      Delete
  3. Loved your photos each one a delight. They brightened what has been a dark day...that wee bird...bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I'm sorry you have had a "dark" day, and am glad the pics made you smile if even for a moment.......as your pics have often done for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda, I so much enjoyed seeing the excellent photos of some of the denizens living on your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much: I hope to focus on photographing such things more often, as there are such lovely and endearing creatures that pass my way here.

      Delete
  6. Such wonderful photos Lynda. I have held so many birds that have hit windows and I have never taken a picture of one. Something I think about after all the excitement dies down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa; my all-time favorite was the male American Kestral......such a beautiful raptor, and much more amazing in real life than all the pics I had seen in books. He flew into a stone wall in our old barn, and I actually thought it had killed him......but as I walked out of the barn with him in my hands he began to awaken (and became increasingly alarmed at his location!), so I threw him very high into the air, and he flew away. : )
      Hoping you are doing well!

      Delete